I don't think I posted once in March, despite having things to post about!!
As usual, when things get busy, many things get put on back burners and completely forgotten about. Recently I volunteered to help transcribe for an upcoming documentary about women. It's probably the first documentary I've ever waited for with growing anticipation. You can see and read more about the film here at Red Tent Movie: Things We Don't Talk About.
What I am trying to do, in my 'spare time' is to transcribe sections of audio. So far I have found that it is more difficult that I had originally thought it would be, but it's not impossible, and once I get on a roll I can work pretty swiftly. But, I also always get an interruption as soon as I get on a roll. Let me set the scene.....empty sink, dishwasher running...rinse cycle spinning on the washing machine, and the dryer is tumbling. The children, if the weather is nice, are outside playing, and the blinds are all open letting sunlight stream in and illuminate my living and working space.
If the weather is poor, they might be indulging in a cartoon movie. No matter what they are doing, as soon as I get into a rhythm of listening, pausing and typing, they always find that moment to come ask me a random question, or start bickering. So, I feel lucky when I can get 3-5 minutes of transcribing finished in 20 or 30 minutes. And since I've never done this before, I feel like 'hey, that's pretty decent!'
Currently my son is throwing a tantrum much like I would expect from a two year old. You might remember that we are currently homeschooling, because the school he attended was unwilling to work with a gifted and very distracted child. We have since had confirmation that he has ADHD, but have decided to leave him "not medicated" at this time. It's Friday, and he's just done with school work for this week, and apparently he's "done" with treating me with any kind of respect. Currently he is under threat of not being able to play in his soccer game tonight, which has just made him even more angry. I am trying to stay very calm, and very clear about what I expect. I expect him to do his job, which is to learn, while I do my job. My job is to parent him. As his parent, I feel that it is important that I not only be treated respectfully, but that I see to it that he is getting an education.
Much of this year has been a struggle, perhaps it's been a power struggle? Whatever it has been, I can no longer continue it. So I sat down a few weeks ago and did a little research. I found a school that is in this county, and it seems to be our best bet for next year. I will know in May if they had the room for my kids. I sincerely hope they do, as homeschooling, at least, with this particular program (K-12 Public School...GCA) is no longer the right fit for our family. No matter what happens next year we will not be participating in GCA. Should the elementary school not have room for my children, we will do something much different at home. I really hope this school works out. I will miss them during the day though.
In other news, I have been busying playing Virtual Doula...it's one of my favorite roles.:D
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!