Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ready. Set. Go!

Yesterday school began for my older child. He is a GCA (Georgia Cyber Academy) student. So far the first two days have been full of hiccups and pot holes!! The OLS (online school) spent most of the day yesterday not working properly. Today, I seem to have no Language Arts or Literature to teach....though I'm sure that kink will be worked out soon. In the mean time I'm spending time getting to know the newly designed, and somehow more complicated, interface. Don't get me wrong, it's better than last years, but I guess until it's working properly I won't know how I like it.

And today, my daughter had her second ballet class. She's still in her leotard and 'tutu'....though it's not the fluffy kind, it's a little flowy skirt. It's so cute! And boy was she excited to see her friend L today!!!! The teacher tells me the two of them were in the corner kissing....hmmm hopefully we won't run into any kind of 'class disturbance' problem.


So between driving, ballet and getting home and teaching all afternoon I am pooped!!! I still can't work on my lesson plans for the boy sine the OLS isn't quite right, and the little girl's lessons have been moved to the back burner. She has lost interest for the time being. And today being an active day for her, might just be one of the days she doesn't school. It's all about trial and error and finding what works.


*yawn* Well, I guess I'll go back to watching for hummingbirds while dinner is warming up. Yay for leftovers!!!

2 comments:

alison said...

how do you like the online school option? i looked into doing the florida virtual school (as a teacher) and might put my kids through the program after elementary school (or elem. school in my district ROCK, so i haven't had any issues with sending them through the 5th grade.....) but i worry about whether or not FLVS would work for us. considering my oldest is in kindergarten, i'm thinkin' i probably have plenty of time to figure it out....but the ocd worrier that i am means i have to start stressing about it now :)

Autumn said...

Well, so far I like it enough to do 2 years in a row. I am currently planning on doing it next year too, with K and 4th. From what I understand the program slowly works towards the students doing their own teaching, and we actually get to be "learning coaches" (that's what they call the parents, they do not consider it homeschooling).

I can already see this, most of the Math lessons this year have little for me to do. It's only the 2nd week of course, so once we start learning new concepts I'm betting there will be teaching points. But, right now, math at least takes very little effort from me.

GCA was currently granted whatever it needed to open the 9th grade to students. I would love it if they were able to get through 12th and my kids could just stay home! (I'm going to need a bigger house sooner than later if that's the case!)

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!