Thursday, November 11, 2010

WHY?!

Sometimes, you have to just wonder "wtf were they thinking"...especially when it comes to previous home owners....You know what I'm talking about.

You move in to a new place and it's great, everything is wonderful because NOTHING has to stay the same. Then life happens, and all those changes you wanted to make are still a list in a drawer. No, I'm not digging out my list and making those home improvements, life is still to busy happening. But what I am doing is cleaning. And this is not a new occurrence, but after 6 years in the same house I find myself wondering again and again "wtf were they thinking?!"

For instance. Why did you tile the bathroom counter tops? I know it's pretty, I KNOW it's hard to stain. Ok, so maybe I understand why you tiled the counter tops. But WHY ARE THEY WHITE?! You had children when you lived here, they were young, much like mine are. Which means...well, those of you with kids know what it means. It means that white grout, is no longer white. Hasn't been in years. And not for lack of trying!! While those pretty white tiles remain stain free, that white grout has taken on many colors. Blue for instance. That tooth paste can sometimes leave quite the stubborn stain. It will take a few sessions of scrubbing to get that out. Orangey brown is another. I have no idea what this came from....soap residue?? Either way, it too stains like the dickens. Maybe it's because I don't use bleach? Maybe I don't let my baking soda paste sit long enough. Maybe I am just *that* bad of a house keeper?

But I noticed this week, while in an attempt to not fold and put away the laundry, as I was cleaning the bathroom, just how much of a bad choice the white on white was. The floor tiles (yep, tile there too!!!) are not white, they're a very, very light grey. The grout.....was white. *sigh* I took out the old tooth brush and set to scrubbing the counters while glancing down at the floor every few minutes. You see I clean the bathroom from the top down...which you'll see was a mistake this week! Anyway, I'm scrubbing the counter tops and finally making a difference on the grout and I am wondering how in the hell I am going to manage enough elbow grease to do this to the floor. You see, I was in my bathroom, which is no where near as stained as the kids. The grout in there is like a battle ground for cleaning products, natural and chemical alike. And no one wins. When I was finished scrubbing the counter and wiped away all the spray (clorox green works...rather diluted) with water and a cleaning rag I looked at my counter and said "WHY, WHY must they be WHITE!!" and then I remembered. Her kids weren't little when they re-did the bathroom counters and floors. Oh no. They were 13 and 8. Yeah. That's why they're white...



SO a plea to all of you childless homeowners. Do yourselves, and future owners with kids a HUGE favor. Do not use your floor or counter tops to "brighten" the bathroom with tile and WHITE grout. Please.....PLEASE.....PLEEEAAAASSE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!