I don't really have much to say, but I'm happy to share some links of things that have interested me in the last few days.
First up...read this story about a baby. This is a special baby. Her name is Jayden. Jayden was born addicted to cocaine and alcohol. After a long NICU stay, she was sent home with a foster mother....to die. That is, until her foster mother gave her breastmilk. http://breastmilk.weebly.com/
Next, from the Harry Potter file..... The Deathly Hallows Trailer premiers this weekend before Eclipse (Twilight Saga part 3) I'm so giddy, I can't wait. I'll be You-Tubing until I see it I'm sure. I wonder which will come first, me finding it on YouTube or seeing it when I go see Eclipse?
Now back to the seriousness. Killing Us Softly:Advertisings Image of Women
It's so sad, and I feel so incredibly helpless. I really pray that I can teach my children that while I may appear 'vain' when I put on my jewelry and make up, and 'check the mirror' that I do it for ME. I don't do this for anyone else. I hope to teach them that a persons body is THEIRS, and everyBODY is beautiful in some way. Health is more important than beauty. Love is more important than money. Do I think advertising will change? No. Do I hope more women speak out like Ms. Winslet and say THAT IS NOT MY BODY. She's proud of her body, as we all should be.
And sadly that plays a HUGE roll in how women are treated in pregnancy and birth. As objects, seen simply as a vessle for new life. Little respect is given to women, mothers, when they hire a doctor to care for them. And it's not just doctors, there are plenty of midwives who do the same. Bottom line is these mothers are not being treated with respect, and love. Many have forgotten how to do that.
In 2008 Dr. Marsden Wagner wrote, Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
And FINALLY, an inspiring slideshow video of a womans journey to a vaginal homebirth. After 3 cesarean sections, she succeeded in having an amazing homebirth, with her very supportive husband by her side.
2 comments:
This video really touched me. I knew the photos were altered, but I had no idea to what extent. Actually, I'm feeling really beautiful right now. I understand why all the photos of me look so imperfect! Duh, we're all like that. And who wants to look like some cookie-cutter image of a fashion model anyway? Well, O.K., it would be nice to have a few sexy pics...., but I want to look like ME.
Thanks for posting this.
With love and gratitude,
Serena
Feel free to visit my blog:
www.rickiesnest.blogspot.com
It's amazing isn't it! And I know what you mean. It's easier to look in the mirror and appreciate my body when I know, no one is that perfect!!
Post a Comment
I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!