Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wednesday - Work Day

Yesterday I really busted tail!

I decluttered a lot of my living area, the kitchen and the dining table/school area.

The inspiration behind this is to bring my bedroom back from 'the dead'. You see, a while back we "lost" our home office space when we moved our daughter into her own room. (Clearly it wasn't a huge loss, we love our daughter, and she loves having her own room).

What it meant though was that all of this stuff had to go somewhere. At first, it wasn't bad. But over the last 2.5 years whenever we have clutter in the living area, especially  that of the geek persuasion, it gets piled into the bedroom. And since we hadn't really organized it all to begin with, it's just a HUGE disaster. Well, NOR MORE!

My children are no longer the 100% dependent toddlers they were when I decided to over look the mess. I can no longer over look it. The time has come to be ruthless, and not powerless. The time has come to throw away, donate, re-home, or simple STORE AWAY the things we can not use, or have no use for.

My children are capable of keeping out of trouble and entertained for at least 10 minutes, and I have learned very well how to get things done in that time. It's time to put that skill to use. It was easier when there was just 1 child. When he napped, I cleaned. With two, and no naps for at least one, sometimes both, I had no time to clean before it was instantly destroyed again. So I decided to just let it be.


Not only have they become more independent, but they are very aware. We have been trying to encoporate a "before bedtime clean up" of their rooms. This happens around 7 pm, after dinner and showers but before reading. I give them very clear instructions. "I need to be able to walk on your floor in the dark" I do help my daughter considerably more, as my son no longer needs instruction when it's time to clean his room.

Well, they see my room, and it's state of 'disorganized - disorderly - very cluttered' and probably wonder why I don't have to do the same to my room. It's time.

So this week I have already made considerable PROGRESS toward my goal of a tidy home. It's all very exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!