Not long after the post from August 11, 2011 our lives were turned upside down. I decided not to post about it publicly, and it pretty much shut down my blog.
After working his ass off for 6 years, and being at work more than being home, my husband lost his job. The reason he was given was a total bullshit reason, and all we heard after the fact was rumor after rumor. His very steady pay check that left us with a nice little cushion in between paydays was gone. Our kids' insurance, gone. Because my husband has a bad back, that limited his options for a new job, and I hadn't worked in more than a decade.
After over a year of searching I managed to land 4 interviews in the span of a month. I was hired for two of the four. I spent the summer working a merchandising job for a gardening company. Basically I arranged plants on tables in a garden center at a big box home improvement store. I enjoyed learning about the flowers and other plants, but I hated the job. I was also hired as a host at a restaurant. I was able to quit the merch. job at the end of August (2013) because I was officially hired on full time at the restaurant, and a raise.
Unfortunately, everything happened a little too late for the mortgage company. We no longer live in our sweet little 3bd/2ba, on an acre, where our daughter was born. My daughter had to leave a school she loved, both children had to leave behind friends, and memories. The only home they have ever known, and they will likely never see it again. We were not able to find a place to live on my earnings, so we are staying with family. This has made moving difficult. We could not rent a truck, so we have been moving in little by little since the beginning of August. The house is a disaster, and we aren't but about halfway through. I really had my heart set on being able to take the kids up again, so they could write their names on their walls and say good bye to their home so that they can open their hearts to this home.
It's going to be a long road to recovery.
But there are upsides to moving. My son likes his school more. And with moving meant changing locations for me. I now work in a less busy restaurant (same company) and have the possibility for advancement here that I didn't have before. So far, so good. Hopefully there is a decent promotion in the works, though it may be about a year off. That gives us some time to make a better financial recovery, and to find our new normal.
After working his ass off for 6 years, and being at work more than being home, my husband lost his job. The reason he was given was a total bullshit reason, and all we heard after the fact was rumor after rumor. His very steady pay check that left us with a nice little cushion in between paydays was gone. Our kids' insurance, gone. Because my husband has a bad back, that limited his options for a new job, and I hadn't worked in more than a decade.
After over a year of searching I managed to land 4 interviews in the span of a month. I was hired for two of the four. I spent the summer working a merchandising job for a gardening company. Basically I arranged plants on tables in a garden center at a big box home improvement store. I enjoyed learning about the flowers and other plants, but I hated the job. I was also hired as a host at a restaurant. I was able to quit the merch. job at the end of August (2013) because I was officially hired on full time at the restaurant, and a raise.
Unfortunately, everything happened a little too late for the mortgage company. We no longer live in our sweet little 3bd/2ba, on an acre, where our daughter was born. My daughter had to leave a school she loved, both children had to leave behind friends, and memories. The only home they have ever known, and they will likely never see it again. We were not able to find a place to live on my earnings, so we are staying with family. This has made moving difficult. We could not rent a truck, so we have been moving in little by little since the beginning of August. The house is a disaster, and we aren't but about halfway through. I really had my heart set on being able to take the kids up again, so they could write their names on their walls and say good bye to their home so that they can open their hearts to this home.
It's going to be a long road to recovery.
But there are upsides to moving. My son likes his school more. And with moving meant changing locations for me. I now work in a less busy restaurant (same company) and have the possibility for advancement here that I didn't have before. So far, so good. Hopefully there is a decent promotion in the works, though it may be about a year off. That gives us some time to make a better financial recovery, and to find our new normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments!! Leave me one and let me know you're reading!!